Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

6 months later....

Well, Id say it's time for an update. My laptop recently bit the dust which made blogging slightly difficult.

So a little reflection time is neccesary....

I've been on the east coast officially 6 months now, technically the end of my "internship". Am I leaving, No. Have I progressed? Absolutley.

Someone asked me at the start of my internship what I saw myself doing down the road as in where I wanted to end up. I was unable to answer the question at the time but now as I have seen how far I have come I now think I have an answer..... As to where I want to end up as in exact location is un-defined... Yet, I do now when and where I end up I know I want to be the best chef I can be and show to people that with can-do attitude you can get the places you want to be in life regardless if you have schooling or not. Im currently working for a chef that I really look up to. The accomplishments they have made is exactly what  I want for myself. I want the ACF awards, and the books of memories, and having a network of other culinarians who have been along for the journey.

Getting through this internship was defenitly not easy, for it was litterally the hardest thing I have been through yet. Not having family in this state also made it difficult yet them being a phone call away daily put me at ease and hearing the words "Im proud of you" makes life perfect. Those simple words are what pushed me to work harder each and every day. As I still struggle in some areas in the kitchen which I am personally aware and want to strengthen. I have strengthened personally gotten a grasp on things I never thought were improbable. It's crazy 6 months later I can look at a Banquet Order board and see parties for 200+ and feel comfortable in preperation for them. Im getting a glimpse of what mass preperation is like. I have seen the in's and out's of what the more buisness side of the Club life is like as well. Getting the opportunity to learn about pricing, inventory, and much more is a crucical part of running any buisness. Staying on budget is key. I've learned to really stay calm in the jist of the absolute chaotic times and remember to just fix whatever needs fixed and not sit around and question what to do... On the other side of things I personally feel I need to still get more practice when it comes to fabrication, sauces, and time managment. Occasionally I feel some tasks take to long, yet a little reminder always pop's in my head.... "Julia, this is not an all day project" as a chef from a precious restraunt would say... Speed/ and accuracy have improved but still need work... Breaking down protien's can  be simple but my skills are lacking when it comes to portioning. As I progress I remember I have plenty of time to learn so keep on truckin.... The last goal of mine is to get into competion and master it... It's a skill that takes a strong culinarian, one with determination and willingness to feel comfortable in such event... I just want to keep learning to say the least... Im young and my goal is to be the best I can be which will never have an end..... I have a passion for cooking to say the least :)

No comments:

Post a Comment