Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Saturday Night Dinner Service

What a weekend it was at Overlook farm..
I must say it was sure defenitly a learning experience. Saturday Evening we had Guest Chef Kevin Nashan and his Sous Chef Chris joining us and doing a seperate tasting menu.. We were booked...sold out for the evening... Saturday morning I woke up around 6:00am got ready and headed to school in St.louis. When I wished I didnt have class I just wanted to be in the kitchen all day. Lucky me I was able to leave class early that day my professor was quite understanding for once. Then got home two hours later had a suprise visit from dad, wendy, and my adorable little sister Sydney. I couldn't go to work until I saw my little sister! Ahh she is quite the charecter. Then off to work I go. Get to work and got to work. As the day progressed it was time for dinner. I worked cold side and helped Chef Kevin with some plateing. It was awesome to be able to help him not only was I plateing I was learning he showed me some techniques that help when you plate so it was an awesome opportunity. There was not a dull moment in that kitchen once we started getting busy. Tickets really started lining up but everyone just kept working together and cranking the orders out. I wish I could of done more. I defenitly give props to everyone working hot side Saturday night. Even with a few bumps during service we got through it and everyone loved it. I learned I tend to get a little frustrated at times but I got past it. When things get busy they get hectic but you just got to push through it. My favorite moment of Saturday night dinner service was when Farrel one of the new chefs came to my station and just started laughing for no reason... I say "Farrel whats so funny"... He responds "At this point all you can do is laugh".. So I start laughing... and believe it or not it really helped... When I got to the point in dinner service everyone was tired I just laugh... By far the greatest moment of the night.After dinner service was complete there was massive amounts of clean up to do so I got to work... By the end of the night I felt as if the temperature of the kitchen was set to cremate it was so hot. Defenitly powered down some waters and fresh lemonades helped keep me going.

Sooooo the question is what did I learn Saturday????
1. Plating techniques -"just keep it simple"
2. Odd but funny --> Learned Fava beans explode in a fryer
3. Now remember the name of the "finger slicer/ ham slicer" (granted edge) props to chef mike on reinforcing that in my head.
4. Brining bison tounge for 45 days creates absolute awesomeness :)
5. When I get frustrated just brush it off and laugh and keep going.
-- The list could keep going and going...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! Yes Im following your blog! Great photography by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience!! I was there and you did great! Nice blog julia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We dominated would be the correct terminology chef chris.

    ReplyDelete