Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Learning

The amount of progress I have made in cooking has absolutely amazed me. I can successfully cook an egg! Maybe not 101 different ways but I sure as heck can make quite a few. In school I'm currently learning things from mise en place to stocks, soups, starches. Yet, most importantly the GRAND SAUCES! My culinary fundamentals book is a book I cannot get anough of. A few weeks ago I was unable to even memorize the beef cuts and a silly tune I made up and help from chefs I have them memorized. Oddly enough I am really interested in learning much more about the fabrication of beef. I plan to soon go watch beef fabrication from the beginning to the end. I will say that will be a learning experience. I'm not a squeamish person and really enjoy breaking down large cuts of meat. My first week at the new job chef had me breaking down a pork shoulder and dicing it up to make the most delicious breakfast sausage. Defenitly beats the stuff in the package, the herbs and spices we added just made it awesome. Yet, a pork shoulder isn't anything to large and crazy but it was still great. I see the chefs I work with putting together fabulous specials and plating them in ways to really awe' the guest. Also, I've learned to successfully break down duck, turkey, chicken. My favorite part about breaking down a turkey for brine and to be smoked is taking a clever to the bone portion not needed on the carcass. Weird I know. The clever, my chef knife, and the boning/filet knives are by far my favorite. I have the starter set of two Wustof knifes that my dad bought for me for Christmas and I love them to death they are like children to me. I have a 8in Chef knife and the pairing knife which I use on a daily basis. I could go on and on about the amount Ive learned in the past few months but I think this blog would become a novel. Well followers that's what Ive got for ya today! Stay posted as I keep track of my progress as I work my way through culinary school and my job. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment